Monday, September 19, 2011

BYU Cycling Team Aspen Grove Ride

The once defunct BYU Cycling Team is rising from the ashes as activity on the Facebook page stirs and a new blog emerges. Many of us who ride our road bikes to school found flyers left on our bikes announcing a Saturday morning ride to Aspen Grove that started at J Dawgs at 8am. About 8 riders showed up this Saturday and we had a spectacular ride. The weather was fresh enough to keep you cool, but not so cold you froze. As we made the turn on to highway 92 the climb was definitely enough to keep a little sweat on your forehead while the air temperature dropped low enough to show your breath. We all made the 2,000 ft climb without a hitch. Two of us caught flats, but thanks to Justin Adam’s swift patching skills we were quickly on our way. And when I say quick I mean it. The nearly switchbackless decent got us down the mountain in a hurry at speeds as fast as 48 mph. That was the fastest I have ever gone on my road bike, and I couldn’t get over the fact that no matter how hard I pedaled I couldn’t get any pull out of my highest gear. It was quite the rush, and the Alpine Loop Highway goes on my list of top rides in Provo.

No comments:

Post a Comment